We're hiring a vegan/vegetarian cook!
The cooks team at Red Emma's has an immediate opening for an experienced vegan/vegetarian chef to join our kitchen crew. Responsibilities determined based on the qualifications of the applicant, but may potentially include menu and recipe development, sourcing, prep and line cooking, and sandwich construction. We will consider both full & part-time applicants. Our ideal candidate:
- Loves cooking, discussing, and eating awesome vegan and vegetarian food
- Has a stockpile of amazing vegan and vegetarian recipes to share
- Has experience working in a commercial kitchen
- Works well as a part of a team
- Is able to work long hours, and doesn't shy away from hard work
- Has the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
- Has long-term plans to stay in the Baltimore area, and a passion for working in the food industry
- Vegan baking experience is a plus!
Like all jobs at Red Emma's, the cooks are a part of the workers cooperative that owns Red Emma's; along with our fellow worker-owners in the barista, roasting, books, and programming teams, we all work together to co-manage the business, which is both empowering and exciting! Applicants must be able to commit to attending unpaid coop meetings on Monday evenings, where we make most of our business decisions by consensus.
Founded in 2003 as an activist bookstore with a small coffeeshop, Red Emma's expanded into a fully-loaded vegetarian restaurant on North Avenue in 2013, complete with a full list of vegan & sustainable beer & wines, an in-house coffee roastery, a busy events calendar, and a thriving bookstore. Our small collective has grown to 20 worker-owners and counting, and we're quickly gaining recognition as one of Baltimore's best options for locally and ethically sourced vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
Jobs at Red Emma's start at an hourly wage of $11/hour, and increase with the cumulative number of hours worked. Interested? Email your resume and a brief letter of interest telling us why you want to work at Red Emma's to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing applications on January 28, and continue accepting applications until the position has been filled.